UDT ASIA: CAPTAIN TAKAHIRO NISHIYAMA DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF PLANS AND PROGRAMS DIVISION, MARITIME STAFF OFFICE, JAPAN MARITIME SELF DEFENCE FORCE (JMSDF)12-Dec-2017
Captain Takahiro Nishiyama Deputy Director of Plans and Programs Division, Maritime Staff Office, Japan Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF)
Capt Nishiyama is the deputy director of plans and programs division at the Maritime Staff Office of the Japan Maritime Self Defence Force also known as JMSDF. Some of his previous assignment from the previous years include being an operations officer in 2004, staff for plans and programs division in 2009, and operation officer and executive officer at 2011, a commanding officer in 2012, followed by the staff for plans and programs division, JSO and Cabinet Secretariat before his present assignment.
UDT Asia 2018
- You will be speaking at UDT Asia 2018 on the topic of “Analysing the approaches to improving and expanding the lifespan of a submarine” – can you give us a brief insight into the areas you will be covering?
I am planning to consider possibility to extend the life-span including new technology and improvement of maintenance method.
- What can delegates expect to take away from your session?
I expect them to share technological trend and concerns with a submarine of each country.
- How do you feel the underwater defence and technology has evolved over the last 12 months?
I understand that development of Unmanned Vehicles technology has led us to create new concepts for defence equipment.
- In your opinion, what do you think is the challenge facing Asia’s underwater defence community today?
I understand that undersea has become busy due to the increase of vehicles, which heightens the necessity of securing safety.
- Why do you think events such as UDT Asia 2018 are important?
That’s because I can share awareness with not only naval staffs but wide people concerned and understand new trend of technology.
More information - UDT ASIA